- Haglund has written three really cool stories on the Coens: a think piece about their entire filmography, an analysis of their ad work and short films, and finally, a piece about ranking their movies.
- The Coens have made fifteen features. Haglund considers Fargo their best and The Ladykillers their worst.
- The Coens are often described as “polarizing,” but saying you don’t like their work is the quickest way to get a cinephile to stop taking you seriously.
The Daily Notes
- For my money, A Serious Man is their most underappreciated work. Not that it will ever reach the iconic status of The Big Lebowski, but one day people are going to catch up with that movie and realize it holds the secrets to the universe, making for a great double bill with Tree of Life.
- No Coen fan can resist list making. 1) The Big Lebowski 2) Fargo 3) A Serious Man 4) Raising Arizona 5) Miller’s Crossing 6) Blood Simple 7) Barton Fink 8) O Brother, Where Art Thou? 9) No Country for Old Men 10) The Man Who Wasn’t There 11) True Grit 12) Burn After Reading 13) The Hudsucker Proxy 14) Intolerable Cruelty 15) The Ladykillers
- If you could only watch one filmmaker’s catalog for the rest of your life, who doesn’t pick the Coens?